Monday, May 7, 2007

Boo Disney

After the presentation on the little mermaid I started to think back on all of the Disney films. Wow they are sexist. I never really noticed. You idealize and love them so much as a child that even when you grow up and become more educated and aware of things such as sexism you still neglect to see them in the films that you loved so much as a kid. I think it is kind of like finally figuring out that your parents are real people and have faults like everyone else. It takes a while to figure it out because as a kid you thought they were the all knowing, perfect parents (or at least I did). Then one day when you are older you figure it out and it’s a bummer. Same thing as the Disney movies. Ignorance is bliss. Now how am I ever going to watch Cinderella wish for her prince without thinking “why does she need a prince to be happy” or watch the Lion King and not think “Why is Mufassa the king of the land and not Simba’s mom (which I don’t even know her name)?”

Then I think about the Shrek movies and how they actually openly mock Disney’s choice to portray most of the female characters as helpless young ladies in need of saving. In their films they have the princes ninja fighting. I can’t wait to see Shrek 3 and see what other social commentary they make on things I neglected to see as a child and maybe chose to ignore a little as an adult in Disney films.

No comments: