Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Halperin article got me thinking a lot about sexuality and how sexuality can be one of the main components that we use as a society to define people. For instance, when celebrities make it known to the public that they are homosexual, it becomes front page news and the celebrity is often defined by his or her sexuality. The dietary analogy expanded my thoughts even more about how sexuality defines people in our society. I liked how Halperin made reference to how we do not define people by their eating habits, which are a part of daily life. If we do not define people by eating habits, why should we define them by sexuality?
The positive part of sex and the ancient world is that sexuality was not a category and that homosexual or heterosexual did not make a difference. What I like about our current society is that two adults are permitted to have sex if they are both willing, no matter what class they belong to. I could not imagine living in a society where I was forced to have sex with somebody because I was of a lower status.
I enjoyed reading Part 1 of Maurice and sympathize with Maurice. I know that it is difficult in our society now for homosexuals to be open with there sexuality, but I can not even imagine what it would be like if they were not permitted to make it public knowledge. Being homosexual seems to cause a lot of confusion for Maurice and he can’t talk about it with anybody because it is forbidden. I am glad to see that our society has advanced to where homosexuality is now talked about and I hope that it will continue to advance so that it is no longer perceived as “abnormal”.

No comments: