Thursday, March 29, 2007

I am writing in response to Beckyloo and their idea about the male gaze. I do agree with Beckyloo somewhat, however, I feel that the men are more representative of the ideal male rather than a sexual object to be desired. As in James Bond, Bond represents a strong man with brains and brawn and capable of capturing the women, who is the object to be desired. I feel like the male character is more for men, that he is the ideal that all males would like to strive for. His purpose is to reiterate what it means to be a man. As for the women, especially in James Bond movies, she is what is supposed to be seduced and succumb to the male. I think this also applies to the streets in that men are looked at for being men. Their sexiness is reiterated by their striving for what every man should be, and in turn what women ought to desire. You must remember, no matter how much it suscks, our roots are in patriarchy which is still very prevalent today. I think Mulvey states a good case, and is a legitimate argument about society.
As for what we should do the last few weeks of class, I really think we should read "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin. This is a great book written very long ago and represents a female perspective when women's perspectives were not acknowledged.

No comments: