Friday, March 30, 2007

Thoughts about end of semister

After covering some pretty intense material this semester, like Interview with the Vampire, Cat on the Hot Tin Roof, and works by Plato, I think we should lighten things up and watch a few episodes of “Family Guy” as our ending project. I think that “Family Guy” is the best at comically making fun of stereotypical gender roles in a typical American family. For instance, Stewie, the infant child, and Brian, the dog, are the smartest, most witty characters in the show whereas Peter, the dad, is a total moron. If all was right in the perfect world, Peter would be smart, super dad and the baby and dog would be oblivious to everything. I think everyone in the class would enjoy critiquing this show just for the fact that it is hilarious. It points out and makes fun of very taboo issues in today society without drawing serious, negative attention. But maybe I’m just bias because I love the show. About the possibility of doing a Disney Classic, I think that could be a good idea but we would all have to agree on which movie to see. And there are a lot of them. I would personally suggest “The Emperor’s New Groove” or “Hercules” because those are my favorite Disney cartoons, no joke. I may be a dork but I think I just like cartoons that poke fun at certain adult jokes very subtly, trying to make a sarcastic undertone. Everyone knows the stereotypes and taboos in society, whether they admit it or not, and I like when attention is drawn to these things to show that people are aware of what is going on, instead of glossing things over. The “happy ending” with a hint of sarcasm.

No comments: