Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Interview With the Vampire

[Apparently when I was looking back on this blog…I realized that none of my posts were actually posted. So I must rewrite them. I think that I have been doing something wrong. So I will try again.]

The Interview With the Vampire

I enjoyed both the film and the book very much. Interview With the Vampire used to be one of my favorite movies. I think that Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt were perfect actors to play the roles of Lustat and Louis. From the discussion that we had in class, where people were talking about how they felt about Louis, and how they felt sorry for him at first…but changed their minds, I disagreed. I felt sympathy for him the entire time reading the book. He had nowhere else to go, and had no choice either. Yes, he did have a choice whether or not to be a vampire at first. However Lustatt did not fully explain the loneliness and pain of being a vampire. In a way, I felt Louis was tricked.

The book was a bit different than the film. The scene that we discussed in class was the scene in which Louis is sad because he loses his wife and child in the movie. But in the book Louis loses his brother. This loss causes Louis to be so depressed that he does not care to live or die. I think the reason why the director chose to have Louis lose his wife and child in the film, instead of staying true to the book, was because it is more appealing to the audience. It makes a lot more sense for someone to mourn as much as Louis did for a wife and child rather than a brother. Perhaps its because with a wife and child, Louis had his entire life to look forward to. He had a family. The idea of family (wife and child) emphasizes his caring, father like nature. Just like how Louis was like a father to Claudia. Louis was not going to live his entire life with his brother. That would just be strange.

No comments: