Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Last Weeks of School

[Apparently when I was looking back on this blog…I realized that none of my posts were actually posted. So I must rewrite them. I think that I have been doing something wrong. So I will try again.]

Last Weeks of School

I think that the movie Transamerica would be a very good film to discuss, especially for this class. In the movie, a Bri, is a man getting a sex change to be a woman. The movie is about Bri, getting a phone call from a son in jail, she never knew she had. Her therapist decides that she needs to meet her son before she can even think about getting the sex change, and will not sign the papers. The only problem is that she has to meet the son, not as his father, but as a woman. She lies and says that she is actually from the church and wants to help him because she does not know how to tell him that she is his father. It is not until later that the boy finds out who she really is. The actress that plays Bri is actually off the Desperate Housewives show. She does an amazing job at playing a man trying to play a woman. If I did not know who the actress was, I probably would have thought that she was actually a man. I think this film would be great for this class because it really deals with the issue of gender identity. Transgender people are those that believe that they are women born in a man’s body, or a man born in a woman’s body. Psychologists see this as a mental disorder…and people wanting to go through with surgery have to go to years of therapy and counseling. The movie really makes the audience sympathize for Bri, as well as makes you understand what they are feeling and going though.

No comments: