Friday, April 13, 2007

Animals in Fight Club

So far, reading and watching Fight Club has been my favorite of the class. I enjoyed how most of the class was involved with the discussion at some point yesterday and I think it was because most of the class enjoyed this book the most as well.

One of the parts of the book that we sort of touched on that I found interesting was all the references that were made to animals. My favorite reference to animals was when Marla was talking about things people love for a few days and then throw away, and she mentioned the dog pound. She said, "…where even if someone loves you enough to save your life, they still castrate you" (68). I've never really thought of it that way and it was interesting to hear it put that way. I always had the mind set that they fixed the animals so that there wouldn't be the chance of more animals coming back to them.

The other animal reference that I enjoyed was when Tyler burnt Jack’s hand and after Tyler put vinegar on his hand to stop the burning, Jack made a comment, “Think about the animals used in product testing” (78). I thought it was interesting that animal testing was the first thing that came to mind after he endured the chemical burn. But it makes sense; animals are the ones who suffer the pain in our consumer culture when new products are being made. I think that mentioning animals in these to cases was to show how animals suffer as well as humans, but I am not sure.

No comments: