Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Colloquy and Carmilla

I have not yet wrote anything since the colloquy ended so I want do that now. I attended several of the events during the week and I was extremely impressed. The level of intellectualism was both enlightening and upflifting. I was inspired to look inwards and figure out why I do the things I do. Some of the questions that I had were answered by the speakers. I know why I'm at a liberal arts school, I know that grades are not the most important thing in college...it's what you get out of it. To think, to discover, to be aware and to be prepared. It's obvious that I really did like the colloquy, and Rollins was wise in doing this.

What I got out of Carmilla is that it was a critque of contemporary culture. It wanted to express via "lesbian" vampires, female oppression in a male dominated society. Women empowering other women. The men in the short story don't really play a significant role, the story did not focus on the males.

What I did'nt quite like was family relation between the countess and laura. I guess I am putting a modern viewpoint on this, perhaps.

Well I am about to watch Fight Club, my roommate has the DVD, so I don't have to run to the library or the video store.

No comments: