Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dissapointing Future

Nothing seems to be enough. During certain times in my life I have tried to convince myself that there is nothing more that I could possibly ask for in regards to my family, relationships, and materialistic objects. It never works. There is always at least one desire that haunts my thoughts, and somehow I convince myself once I attain it then I will be finally satisfied and genuinely happy. Anne Carson in her piece “Eros the Bittersweet” reminded me of multiple instances in my life, and I have to say I did not disagree with any of the points she made. The concept of “bittersweet” defines an aspect of our human nature, and I believe it is one of the most important traits we have as humans. Without desiring the unattainable there would be little motivation to work for a better and more fulfilling life. Without a dream to work for there would be no societal progress. Anne Carson discusses the disappointment we feel, or the “bittersweet” feeling, when we ultimately get what we want.
I made an immediate connection between “Eros the Bittersweet” and Tennessee William’s play, “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”. The pain Maggie feels at not being able to get Brick’s affection reflects the idea of wanting the unattainable. Maggie has fallen in the trap that human nature sets up for us. She has let herself go too far. She gets nothing back from Brick. Brick doesn’t even express any signs of concern at the thought of Maggie finding herself another lover. He tells her to do so and Maggie still holds onto her dream for the unattainable, in this case Brick. “Maggie, I wouldn’t divorce you for being unfaithful or anything else. Don’t you know that? Hell, I’d be relieved to know that you’d found a lover” (Williams 35). She is missing the most important dream of all. The dream of finding a true love. Maggie will not take a chance at finding something better. “No. I’d rather stay on this hot tin roof” (Williams 35). She does not realize her life is flying by her and she is getting nowhere close to satisfying her desires.
There are many other examples of relationships similar to those described by Anne Carson. Big Momma and Big Daddy is one. Gooper and Mae is another. I have come to terms with, at least I think so, that we are all destined to be disappointed. The concept of love is so flawed. I do not even know how to define happiness anymore. Is one truly happy without all their desires fulfilled?

No comments: