Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Minority Report

After watching Minority Report I was a little confused as to how the movie related to the idea of gender. I assumed that the books and movies that we watched would clearly indicate gender issues and ideas relating to both the male and female gender. A connection that I did make as to why we discussed this movie and book in a gender class is that it deals with identity. Identity is closely related to gender because people are labeled, and identified by their sex. There is also the idea of false identities throughout the movie and book with the main character John Anderton. John Anderton was falsely accused for a predetermined murder, which relates to identity because subconsciously he knew that he would never kill a man. Anderton also took out his eyes so that the identification machines would not be able to know who he was. Once again, this is an example of changing an identity. I am not a huge science fiction fan, so I could possibly have a negative bias towards the movie. I felt that the book was easier to follow and made more sense from the beginning, whereas the movie was a mystery that was uncovered at the end. Like many other book and movie adaptations, there were differences. For instance, John Anderton ended up killing the man in order to save the program, where in the movie, everything results in a happy ending. Although this was not my favorite book and movie, I did feel that I gained some perspective into the issue of identity and how it relates to an individual.

No comments: