Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Realistically Unrealistic

“The Girl Who Was Plugged In” and “Minority Report” were both interesting stories but I generally dislike that genre. I like more realistic stories because I think I can more easily relate to the story and connect with the characters. I always find it somewhat difficult to really feel sympathy, like, dislike, or other emotions towards the characters when the story is so unrealistic. However, sometimes, such as in “Minority Report” it makes me pause and think about, and often question, the direction or current society is moving in. I recently watched the movie “Children of Men”. It paints a very stark picture of the future. The world has turned into a fairly chaotic, violent, racist, unsympathetic, and individualistic place. It is of course an extreme version of a particular society. But sometimes I question whether or not our society is moving to far in that direction. For example, one of the main themes in “Children of Men” is anti-foreigner and anti-immigration sentiments. With a recent move in American and Britain in this direction it makes me fear how far we will spiral in that direction in the future. This genre of writing and film sometimes makes me think about how far of is this movie when it really comes down to it? I think some of the themes in the girl who is plugged in, like the struggle between physical beauty and societal approval and excepting yourself and appreciating your intellect is clearly an issue even in today’s society. I think almost every person faces the internal struggles faced by Delphi/P. Burke. I think sometimes these stories/movies are so successful because they find an exciting, edge of your seat, way to address some underlying real life themes.

No comments: