Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I have found our modernistic readings very interesting, yet confusing. Through these reading it is cool to see how people perceive the world in the future. I don’t like science fiction because I don’t think anyone will really be able to tell how the world will turn out to be. After reading Phillip Dick’s “Minority Report”, I couldn’t really grasp the whole concept. I liked watching the movie because I was able to envision what the text meant. I also liked the movie because I found the reading hard to read, as the movie was able to create more flow of the events. Not only did I find the reading confusing, but I also thought the movie was a little hard to follow as well. In the end I really liked how the viewer has to put the pieces together to understand what is going on. Even though the reading was short, I think the producer did a great job of turning it into a film.
After reading and then watching “Minority Report”, I am interested to see how one would turn James Tiptree’s story, “The Girl who was Plugged In”, into a movie. In my opinion, the modern view of heterosexuality and love could be hard to be seen through such a complex lifestyle. I wouldn’t even know where to begin on trying to make a movie that would be so in depth as the plot of “The Girl who was Plugged In”. I still can’t comprehend how Stephen Spielberg was able to envision this world in 50 years. The way precrime stopped people from dying and putting people in “prison” was fascinating. The movie “Minority Report” leads me to wonder what the world will actually be like in 50 years. To me the texts were confusing, although allowed many questions to arise in my head about how we lead our lives now and how our grandchildren and others will be living in the future.

No comments: