Thursday, February 8, 2007

Importance of Being Earnest

After our conversation about bunburry and what it means in the book, I went into watching the movie trying to see it with that point of view. I still did not pick up on that side of the story. Even in the movie, I only saw bunburry as the name of what they did, the name of Algy's other person. It was just a way to have a double life.

I really enjoyed the movie and loved all the cast. When reading The Importance of Being Earnest I was unable to visualize what was exactly going on and found myself confused at times. While watching the movie it helped me visualize what was happening and clear up some confusion. I think the movie was also easier to understand because of the language that the play was written in. Since the play was written in the Victorian Era, it is written in old English. Old English can be very hard to understand if you are not used to it. Even though in the movie they are talking in the same old English and language, because you can see the facial expressions and actions it helps the watcher understand what’s going on.

We were supposed to think of who the character would be and how a seen would be acted out. However when watching the movie, I really enjoyed the cast. I love how it was made with modern day stars. I felt like I was able to connect with the movie. If the movie was an older version with actors I could not associate with I think it would not have been as interesting. I love Reece Witherspoon and having her portray one of the characters was interesting and I think she did a very good job. The other characters did wonderful jobs portraying the characters as well.

No comments: