Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Plugged In

While reading The Girl Who Was Plugged In, I found myself sympathizing with P. Burke. All I could picture was this unattractive girl who had just tried to take her own life and is now given a second chance at having the life she always wanted. But then she realizes that she can not fully have that life living through Delphi. As Delphi, she can’t feel, taste, or touch. When P. Burke falls in love with Paul, she can’t truly be with him as Delphi.
Reading this really got me thinking about giving up the sacrifice of being myself to become a celebrity. It is hard for me to completely relate to P. Burke because I am not unhappy with my life. Sure there are lots of events I would change in my life if given the chance, but there is nothing about my body I would want to change. For me, I would not want to live a life without privacy. I especially would not give up most of my senses to become a “God”.
I also got to thinking a lot about our society after reading this story. I find it said that we think of celebrities as being gods in a sense. They are not perfect, and many of them do not have qualities worthy of being looked up upon. Should we really honor a person who has a beautiful outside appearance, but does not show any beauty in their actions? I don't think so, but obviously a majority of us do it anyways.

No comments: