Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The Importance of Being Earnest

I really enjoyed both the written and film version of the importance of being earnest. For the most part, i felt that the movie stayed pretty true to the play, but there were some differences. The end where Lady Bracknell sees that Jack's real name is actually Jack, was not in the play at all. Nor was the tattoo getting. I think that these few additions added were not bad at all, and really added to the humor of the play.

I liked each of the actors in the movie, and i felt that they were all very good playing their roles. Perhaps Hugh Grant could have played a good Algey. I liked the actor who played Jack very much. He seemed a bit more awkward than the overly confident Algey. I enjoyed reese witherspoon as Jack's neice. another actress who could have played her as well could be kirsten dunst. The woman who played lady bracknell was perfect.

About the "bunburrying" pun we discussed in class today, really surprised me. I did not catch it at all as i read the play last night. But now as i go back over it, the entire meaning changed for me. I remember reading the same play in 11th grade, and we did not at all discuss the "bunburrying." I even called to tell one of my friends, who is reading it in his highschool english class, to tell him about it.

No comments: