Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The Real Cast of the movie

Having looked over the other posts, I feel there are many topics to discuss. However, I will focus on the “Bunbury” dilemma and add my personal preference as to who The Importance of Being Earnest, the movie, should have in their cast. Keep in mind that I have not yet watched the movie. I am still shocked from yesterday’s class discussion. Like most of the class, I did not catch on to the implied meaning behind “Bunbury” or “Bunburyist” at all. Its reference to homosexual sex makes sense to me now having read the play and looked over the parts where Oscar Wilde has Algernon use the reference in the play. I agree with KAM and the analysis in her post. Algernon is indirectly questioning Jack’s sexual preference. Jack does use the fact that he is going to get married as an alibi to Algernon’s convictions. It is extremely interesting to me that there was this sub-meaning in the play the whole time.
This is the way I would do it if I was in charge of putting together a cast for The Importance of Being Earnest and had an unlimited amount of money to spend on the actors. The protagonist playing Jack would have to be Johnny Depp simply because he can play virtually any role and can definitely handle having a double life in the film. Although he has played many humorous roles, I am not selecting him just for that. I believe he can be serious, secretive, and very sketchy, which would be perfect for Jack. Truthfully, if Al Pacino was 30 years younger I would have picked him. Algernon would be played by Jude Law because he seems to be a charmer and has played various roles in which he shows sophistication. He can be witty and amoral just like Algernon, and can play a bachelor just as well if not better than anyone else. My pick for Gwendolen would be Julia Roberts. She also can come off as intelligent, cunning, cosmopolitan and shallow, in regards to her obsession with the name Ernest. Julia Roberts would also give Gwendolen a positive feminine flare. Cecily Cardew would be played by Cameron Diaz because she would be a perfect combination of beauty with an imaginative and mischievous personality…in some roles. She could adapt to a not so modern time role and emphasize the creativity and attractiveness of Cecily. Lady Bracknell would be played by Meryl Streep. She could act brutally honest and cold-heartedly being the exceptional and experienced actress she is. She is not too old yet and would be a perfect fit in my mind. The roles of Mrs. Prism, Lane and Dr. Chasuble could be filled by random actors seeing as they do not have a huge role and there is no way every character could be played by the elite actors in the business.

No comments: