Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Earnest

Frankly, I enjoyed the play a lot. The Importance of Being Earnest is now one of my favorite plays ever written. Oscar Wilde is hillarious and I am shocked not only because I have not read more of his work or this play until now. One of the most interesting things about the play is the amount of double-meanings. I know we discussed this in class but I am impressed by immense number of them in the play. The funniest is the word "bunbury". After discovering what this word meant in class, I could not help but snicker when I heard the word spoken in the movie. I liked the movie extremely well and I don't think than there is anything to change. The comedic aspects of the play are still funny to the modern viewer. The characters are over-the-top and everything about the movie seems over-the top. When I read the play, I knew that the plot was exaggerated, however the movie tis this in a very visually pleasing manner. When usually watching period movies, they r for the most part serious, so this was welcomed. The thing that the movie does that cant be seen in the play is the way the different storylines are more intertwined. You don't have to wait to see the characters, you pretty much see them all from the beginning. I am still slightly confused by algy, jack, and lady bracknell's. I do not quite understand how they are related. I have a vague understanding.
On a final note, "bunbury" is still pretty funny. The ending of the movie is quite interesting. The fantasy visions are quite random and funny. I like how Algy never had to tell the truth about Bunbury, and how he has a grave and how everyone went to his funeral.

No comments: