Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The Importance of Being Earnest

I was surprised at how different the film version was then the book version. I liked them both in their own unique way. The film version also added a lot of scenes that added to the overall film. The film version had a little different ending because at the end instead of having Jack's real father's name being Earnest they change it somewhat, which is a good change. It was weird watching the film after learning about Dunburying today. It made the film a little different to watch. I watched it from a different perspective. I also think that both the film and play were entertaining. I liked the casting of Colin Firth, and Rupert Evevert. I also think that the choose Judi Dench as a great Lady Brackwell. I think that Hugh Grant would have made a good Algernon or Jack too or Helen Mirren could also have made a good Lady Brackwell. I think Reese Witherspoon, who was Cecily, was a good choice. Kristen Dunst or Julia Roberts could have also worked. I think that the argument between Gendowlyn and Cecily could have been made more intense in the movie but I did like how they had Cecily playing Gendowlyn (putting sugar in her coffee-which she didn't want, or giving her cake instead of bread and butter-what she asks for). It is easy to see from the movie that it is a satire. I believe that The Importance of Being Earnest mocks the elite upper class because they make them so superficial. It is ironic throughout the whole novel that Earnest means "honest" yet the real Earnest(Jack) was honest even though he thought he was lying. And that Algernon posed as Earnest and wasn't being honest. The film and novel centered around each person's desire to get to do certain things (marry a woman, marry an Earnest). Comparing marriage to wine was also an interestin choice by Wilde. I think it was a good decision because it is universal. There are many interesting things to look at reading The Importance of BEing Earnest and the film.

No comments: