Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Minority Report

One of the things that I found the most fascinating while watching the Minority Report, is the technology that they showed. I do not think I would like having my eyeballs scanned while shopping in stores and being targeted for advertising. I already find it annoying when workers come up to me while I am shopping, and the thought of having it done every time I walk into a store does not excite me. I also think that I would get a headache if I was walking through a city and the advertisements around me are constantly changing, or how the newspapers were digital and constantly changing. Everything in the society seemed so fast paced that I can not imagine keeping up with it all.
What is even more amazing than the technology advances is the fact that murderers are arrested before they commit murder because three people can see the future. I found it interesting how they could set up John Anderton by finding someone who would say that he killed John’s son. Knowing that this would make John commit murder makes me wonder if John’s character was a female, would the movie get away with a female committing murder over the death of her son. I can see gender roles taking place in this situation because men are usually portrayed as more violent than females.
Another thing I noticed related to gender is how in the beginning, the first arrest occurred when the guy found his wife cheating on him. Also, when Anderton and Agatha were walking through the mall, Agatha said to a lady, “Don’t go home. He knows.”. This part of the movie is suggesting that the lady has cheated on her boyfriend or husband. I found it interesting that the two unfaithful people that were shown in the movie were both females. I do not know if this was intentional or not.
The only other gender issue I noticed was that Agatha, the only female, was referred to as the smartest of the pre-cogs. I am interesting in finding out what other gender issues were present in both the film and the story.

No comments: