Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Love in "The Importance of Being Earnest"

In Oscar Wilde’s play, “The Importance of Being Earnest,” there is a clear satirical tone throughout. Wilde seems to be satirizing the idea of love and romantic relationships. The love that Wilde portrays in his work is somewhat silly, unrealistic and superficial, with the characters often falling “passionately” and “deeply” in love with one another at first sight. This kind of instantaneous love that is predominant throughout the play appears to lack true meaning, emotion and depth, and instead, seems to simply remain at the surface level.

This mockery of love that Wilde develops in his work can certainly be seen in the overly romantic language the characters use when declaring their love and devotion. For example, when Algernon falls madly in love with Cecily after being just introduced to her, he declares, “I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection” (Wilde 44). He goes on to say, “Cecily, ever since I first looked upon your wonderful and incomparable beauty, I have dared to love you wildly, passionately, devotedly, hopelessly” (Wilde 44). Knowing that they had just met minutes prior, Algernon’s sudden romantic devotion seems incredibly ridiculous and laughable.

Much of the same sentiment is expressed by Jack and Gwendolen when they declare their love for one another. Jack states, “Miss Fairfax, ever since I met you I have admired you more than any girl…I have ever met since…I met you” (Wilde 23). Gwendolen later responds by saying, “…my ideal has always been to love some one of the name of Ernest. There is something in that name that inspires absolute confidence. The moment Algernon first mentioned that he had a friend called Ernest, I knew I was destined to love you.” (Wilde 23). The love relationship between Jack and Gwendolen seems so unrealistic and superficial. To fall so passionately in love with someone simply based on their name is an utterly absurd concept.

No comments: