Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Earnest Again

Sorry guys I forgot to post this blog about the importance of being Earnest movie earlier so her it is now:

The way I interpreted the phrase “the importance of being Earnest” was not about a name, or about impressing a women with that name. To me “Earnest” meant being a “better” version of yourself. I think that Jack in particular was trying to be, or at least portray that he was trying to be, better then he was to Gwendolen. Sometimes there are people or situations in your life that inspire you to improve yourself. I think Jack felt some degree of remorse for some of the things he had done in the past and wanted to attempt to be a better person in the future. I think that he in some ways was trying to represent himself as a good person. First of all he made his brother Earnest seem like a worse person then himself, and in that regard made him look like the better half of the family. Additionally, by going and visiting his brother he looked like a kind and caring person. This is how he attempted to look impressive to Cecily and Miss Prism. His calling himself Earnest and presenting him self as a “upper class” person to Gwendolen he was also trying to impress her. I think his alias of Earnest really just represented his desire to be an improved version of himself although I am not sure how sincere his attempt was.

I found it interesting that in the movie they did not make his name Earnest but made it John. It changed the ending moral message of the story. I think the books message was the hope that everyone can be a better version of themselves. Where as the movies ending sent the message that you should be happy with who you are and not try to be someone you are not. It is very interesting how this one seemingly small detail could change the message of the movie and the book so greatly.

No comments: